In 1937, Ulric Daigle built 2 large cottages with a shared central bathroom to rent to tourists. In the next couple of years he built 2 more and converted his garage into one more cottage. When the war started, there were no tourists so he rented the 5 cottages as apartments. After the war, from 1946 to 1952, 10 more cottages were built to make a total of 15. In 1952 he built a one story motel unit that consisted of 7 rooms; additional construction phases in the next several years added 18 rooms.
In 1968 the business was purchased by Ulric’s son, Hermile. The original cottages were renovated; the front office, a full laundry, a second story to the original building, and an outdoor swimming pool were added. In 1974, Hermile’s son, Maurice joined him and a restaurant was built. In 1986 the old house next door to the property was purchased and renovated to include a conference room and 3 executive suites.
In 1992, Maurice purchased the business from his father and major renovations were completed throughout the property.
When Ulric started in 1937, there were plenty of hotels but no motels. The business was known as Daigle’s Cabins and Tourist Home until 1952 when it was renamed Daigle’s Motel. As far as we know, Daigle’s motel was the first motel built in the Province of New Brunswick.
All of these years later, we remain a small “Mom and Pop” business. We are known for our clean rooms, manicured grounds, and friendly service. We know many of our repeat customers personally. We are very proud when customers come in and tell us that they have been staying with us since childhood and are now staying with us with their own children.